Saturday, March 14, 2009

As You Like It LRJ #4

Sarita Beekie
Ms. Peifer
10 IB - Hour 5
14 March 2009

As You Like It LRJ #4

I don't particularly care for the choleric temperament of the fellow Jacques. He doth say that "'tis good to be sad and say nothing" (As You Like It, Shakespeare, 4, i, 10) whereas I proclaim, "then, 'tis good to be post" (As You Like It, Shakespeare, 4, i, 11).

However, my dearest chuck Orlando did appear soon after Jacques' departure, though in a manner most unpunctual. I, as Ganymede, chid him for this, and began to test the virtue of his love for his bonnie lass Rosalind. Soon I shall know if thou doth love me truly, soon I shall know. Though in jesting at lesser points of female nature, Celia did scold me, "You have simply misused our sex in your love-prate. We must have your doublet and hose plucked over your head and show the world what the bird hath done to her own nest" (As You Like It, Shakespeare, 4, i, 214-217). Perhaps that is so, but she is blind to the method behind my madness, as well as my unfathomable fondness for the sweet Orlando...

The next day, Silvius sent me word from Phoebe. Whether the word truly was from Phoebe or perhaps another, 'twas a contemptible word or two, I might add. She proclaimed that if I should refuse her love, she should certainly die. My Jupiter! What doth the shepherd Silvius see in such a viper?!

Orlando failed again to meet me in a timely fashion, however, his elder brother Oliver did appear before Aliena and I. He bore a bloody handkerchief, to which Orlando had asked him to give to me as an excuse of his broken promise. For it was Orlando that did save Oliver from the jaws of a ravenous lioness! I fainted at the notion that he had almost lost his life, and in doing so, revealed my true sex to Oliver. No matter, my heart will forever be light with the notion of my lovely one being so valiant and brave...*girly sigh*

1 comment: